Friday, August 5, 2011

Is it worth buying in bulk?

Today I headed out to my local Costco for some groceries. I didn't have a list just went in and knew what I needed at the top of my head. Fruits..check...milk...check...tortillas...check...check, check and check. You're probably wondering well, what about the prices of these things you're getting? You're not going to compare? Costco brand vs name brand? Well would I when I come here all the time? The prices are all the same! WRONG! For some reason, today Costco had raised the prices of a few things I normally get there on any given day. For example, milk. A few weeks ago we had bought the 2 gallon box of milk for around $4.00 and some change. Today, it was $6.49 for the same 2 gallons. Say what!!!!!!! Yeah. That's expensive. That's about $3.25 a gallon. I needed it so I took it. I browsed around just to see what eles was expensive or what eles I knew I could get cheaper with coupons. Coffeemate! Yup. They had the coffeemate creamer, 3-pk for around $6.00+some change almost $7.00. Dang. This week at Walgreens, there was a deal on the coffeemate creamer, I grabbed 2 creamers along with 3 other items for $0.22 cents each with all my coupons and store savings. Yeah huge difference. Now if you think about it, $0.22 cents for the same product found at Costco for $6.00 bucks is something to think about. My point is, when buying in bulk, you want to double check what you're buying. You may think ok well $2.00 each for this 3-pack of coffeemate creamer isnt bad. Yes it is. If you can snatch the same item for less then skip the darn creamer and pay $0.22 cents! Another thing is that sometimes you may be lucky and snag a great deal at your local wholsale store. Like the flour tortillas I bought today. $2.79 for a 40-count. Whereas at your local grocery store a 40-count would probably cost you around $4-$5 dollars. Snag that deal off the shelf. Toilet paper is very popular. I would say Costco prices are about the same as any other store. Fruit and veggies are another most common bought. I bought a huuuggee watermelon for $5.99. Pick your size pick your color anyone you want for $5.99. Now thats a good deal. At my local grocery, the cheapest I've seen was 8lbs for 0.99. BUT what are the chances of grabbing a watermelon this big....

So the answer to this question is plain and simple, sometimes it is worth buying in bulk. If you take the time to really think about your stores prices then you can really get a deal. We cant use manufacture coupons at my Costco only the coupons they send out especially for Costco only. Compare prices, take your local grocery competitor ad and compare. That's how you'll see if its really worth buying in bulk.

1 comment:

  1. New here! Hope you will come visit and follow me back :) Shauna from http://www.trying2staycalm.com/

    ReplyDelete